Thursday, December 16, 2010

Where do we go for inspiration

 
In a creative field like design, we face an undeniable truth: our wells of inspiration are bound to run dry from time to time.
That thought leads me to wonder how I'll continue to be inspired to do my work and what are the influences that affect my senses? Where do you go when your soul is tired?  I wait for that unconscious burst of creativity and continually  realize that I must search for it. It becomes my mystical journey through Architectural Digests,Veranda, soap opera sets, window shopping, elegant store displays and old movies. It is dreaming about the Red Carpet fashions, on line shopping for jewelry and the travel channel. Sometimes it is cocktails with the girl's in an elegant art deco hotel while people watching and creating stories about their sordid lives. That creative tingle starts to emerge and I have to bend my will towards it or it will pass in a fleeting moment of distraction. Don't get me wrong, it is a very seductive process and just the excitement of waiting is in itself  extremely alluring.
As designers we are hell-bent on delivering the best in art, fashion, culture and lifestyles so we continue to educate ourselves in many varied ways to stay on top of our game. Maybe it was best said by Henry Brooke Adams "Everyone carries his own inch-rule of taste and amuses himself by applying it, triumphantly, wherever he travels".

No comments:

Post a Comment